MMAP – Our Mission
To educate, counsel and empower Michigan’s older adults, individuals with disabilities, and those who serve them so that they can make informed health benefit decisions.
MMAP, Inc. works through the Area Agencies on Aging to provide high quality and accessible health benefit information and counseling, supported by a statewide network of paid/unpaid skilled professionals.
About MMAP Counselors
MMAP counselors are specialists trained in Medicare and Medicaid law and regulations, health insurance counseling and relevant insurance products. MMAP counselors are not connected with any pharmacy or insurance company – nor are they licensed to sell insurance. Their purpose is to serve objectively and confidentially. Currently, MMAP has hundreds of highly trained and certified counselors. These compassionate and dedicated people (many of them seniors) answer questions and act as guides through the Medicare and Medicaid programs. MMAP counselors have assisted many seniors each year and thousands of Michigan’s elder and disabled citizens, saving them millions of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses, bringing peace of mind to those who are often reluctant when they deal with unfamiliar, confusing and difficult government systems.
What is MMAP? Michigan’s Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program
At the Alpena Senior Citizens Center, a MMAP counselor explains Medicare benefits, compares plan options, answers questions and helps seniors enroll in appropriate coverage. If a senior is new to Medicare, a MMAP Counselor clarifies how to enroll, when to enroll, what the insurance options are and the costs of enrolling. If a senior has limited resources, there may be additional help with the cost of prescriptions and/or prescription insurance; the cost of healthcare; and/or other opportunity to join or switch your Medicare drug plan. MMAP Counselors do not make decisions for you; they guide you through your options. MMAP is a free service.
What MMAP Can do to Help You
- Identify resources for prescription drug assistance
- Explain Medicare health plan options
- Understand doctor bills, hospital bills and Medicare Summary Notices
- Understand Medicare/Medicaid eligibility, enrollment, coverage, claims and appeals
- Enroll in Medicare Savings Programs, Low Income Subsidy & LiNET programs
- Review your Medicare supplemental “Medigap” insurance needs, compare policies and pursue claims and refunds
- Explore Long Term Care financing options, including long term care insurance
- Identify and report Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse